Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 6 on the Oak Ridges Moraine Trail - The Northumberland County Forest

Well back on the Trail and in way over my head immediately. The path is narrow and tight and barely navigable..but is challenging and fun for both Skylar and I. Today is all about hills, lack of water and more hills.... did I mention hills?
 
We walked the Goodwin trail for most of the morning and it was mostly a red pine forest. Tall straight pillars destined for Hydro poles.
 
 
 
I thought the previous miles would be getting me ready for all this crowding on the map of contour lines. I was mistaken. Here is one such hill.
 
 
Climbing all day has its finer points ... only when you start down the other side.
 
 
Skylar and I also did a lot of scrambling over rocks, dead trees and winter leaves that can make it slippery on the downhill.
 
 
I still am yet to meet any other hikers of any kind on the trail. Today I did meet Steven Vandrusen who was out counting birds. Great work if you can get it. He is a grad from Fleming out counting the birds in forested and logged areas of the forest and seeing what the results of logging are to the bird numbers. Steven said they are down in logged areas ..you don't need a PHD to draw that conclusion but Steven is out counting the numbers to have the data to have concrete proof. Keep up the great work Steve. Nothing better than to be paid to be outside.
 
 
I almost didn't see him in his camo outfit.
Orange is so the loggers see him. I said all I have to do is take of my hat!!
 
 
Kept hiking but after my talk with Steven I started to notice more birds.
I must remember to bring my binoculars along and slow down...
 to look both up and look down.
 
 
I am lucky I was able to take this photo ..every time we stopped to take a photo Skylar would lie down and try to stretch herself over the flowers ..I think she is just a photo hog.
 
 
In this section I found the peace and solitude I was looking for. Gone are the sounds of cars, machines, or man made noises... just the heavy breathing of us both and the crunch of the leaves underfoot.
 

Came across a porcupine and they move up a tree pretty quick especially with all those quillseven though they really don't have to.
 
 
Some great signs today ... on this sign Skylar and I sure did.
 
 
Found this sign showing that I made it out of the woods and into ..the forest.
 
 
Loved this sign.... I hope and my Dr hopes that in part 2  all will happen to me. That is another reason why I am out here.
 
 
Passed my Cathedral today and made a few prayers.
 
 
A few trillium's underfoot.
 
 
Skylar and I out of breath, water and stamina... we went a little too far today..again walked off the map and into the next county.
So far we have walked from Warkworth to Cobourg and back again. Slowly and steadily getting there. Not sure where there is or that if  being out here.... isn't already there!

No comments:

Post a Comment