Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 5 on the Oak Ridges Trail

I had to backtrack to catch where I left the trail yesterday. I backtracked till I found my trail marker.
Cut through the sandy trails and was lost in the overwhelming woodland scenes and canopy of trees above.
I brought Skylar along for her daily walk and for some company. It was cool and sunny... perfect weather to keep fleas, ticks , skeeters and horseflies away and for the most part it was successful.
 
Long slow inclines on sandy soil roads that were pretty straight.
The sun made strong intense shadows and walks bathed in dappled light.
 
 
This was the first and last sign that made sense. This section is terribly marked and it is easy to get lost. they need to redo this section..thank god I have some experience walking on the Bruce trail before and I am used to these problems. I walked the Bruce Trail end to end a few years ago and it was better marked.  It doesn't however affect the beauty I am seeing.
Walking along roads and quiet paths with lots of time for contemplation.
 
 
Woods and fields and a few wildflowers.
 
 
We are walking through hundreds of hectares of one of the oldest remaining old growth forests in all of southern Ontario. It is called Peter's woods and is just below Rice Lake. This area did not always have trees on it... it was also a prairie plain used by the first nation's peoples as prime hunting grounds for generations.
Starting in 1924 the Northumberland County Forest planted four million trees to control soil erosion of this area.
 
Time for Skylar and I to catch our breath and head back.
The walk was going so well I wanted to keep going..until the native wildlife and their redneck vehicles came out to play on dedicated walking trails. The funny thing was all of them were about 30 pounds overweight hanging off of their vehicles and probably at the end of the day slapping themselves each on the back saying wasn't it great being out in nature and having so much exercise. Turn off the machine and step away from the vehicle. I however am now only 25 pounds overweight. Where is the MNR when you need them?
I think it is time to head home!
 
I am getting there....
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment